Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sad times and happy times

Over the past two weeks I have had the great pleasure of attending the conferences that I most looked forward to in this Presidential year - the Benefits and Benefits Fraud Conferences held consecutively in Southport. Southport was a new venue for these conferences although some of you may recall that we have used Southport for annual conference in the past. Indeed Frank Newton reminisced that he spoke at his first IRRV conference there 26 years ago!

A little time after Frank, my first benefit conference was Bournemouth in 1994 and Fraud came along later at Blackpool. As benefit is my primary discipline, these two conferences were really a proud moment to open and address my peers. I mentioned in my opening that I have been in benefits for 20 years. Actually it will be 20 years on 6th March ... it seems a long time ago in some respects, but I still remember my first day, when I was given the job of fetching the tea on the 2nd floor and promptly dropped the tray just as I arrived back on the ground floor. I think it is safe to say that on that day, none of my colleagues at Great Yarmouth Borough Council expected me to end up as President of the Institute !!!

Anyway, back to Southport... The new Ramada Hotel and renovated conference centre provided an excellent venue and although the hotel only has 135 rooms, there were plenty other hotels nearby and I heard delegates remark that it was nice to get out for a few minutes each day even if it was only for a brief walk between the venues.
The conference was a great success, with papers presented on many topical subjects. The Institute launched its new occasional paper on welfare reform where we are challenging the Government to consider our practical proposals on improved welfare delivery, not just limited to Housing and Council Tax Benefit. The paper will be available on the website shortly and we shall do further work on the areas that we hope will be taken forward in time. If you agree with our proposals please do help to raise the profile of this paper through your local MPs and pressure groups.

Sadly, I had to leave Southport on the last morning of conference, at the slightly unsocial hour of 6.00 am as we had learned of the death of Honorary Institute Member Frank Wright the previous week and his funeral was scheduled for the Thursday.
Frank was a very early member of the Northern Ireland Association and was pivotal in its development and successes over the years. I was able to meet Frank last year when I was in Belfast for a conference and he was indeed a worthy holder of the title of Honorary Member, Frank was hospitable, charming and kind. I felt honoured to have met him and I think it was only right that I should have attended the Thanksgiving Service with the Chief Executive.
For those of you who are unaware of the Honorary membership, we have very few of these. They are conferred by the Institute's Council to those that have given so much to the Institute, without self interest or reward. Should you meet one of our Honorary members you are indeed in privileged company.

I am looking forward to a full week in the office this week as we start our annual billing process, although I do have a dinner on Thursday night (CIPFA) and then the Lancashire and Cheshire Association dinner next Saturday night (providing all is well with billing!), so a quiet-ish couple of weeks to follow.
Still at least I am at home, Chief Executive David is flying out to Pakistan this week as the Institute has won some work advising on property rate scheme review. This is an excellent opportunity as we continue to broaden our commercial presence in other countries, sought after because of our expertise and abilities in billing and collection works. I wish David well on his travels!