Sunday, October 4, 2009

And now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain ...

What a fabulous night we had on Thursday! Incognito sang “My Way” - along with many other show time and jazz classics and it was a great start to the entertainment.

Those of you who were at conference and the awards night, I hope you enjoyed yourselves and had a superb time. I know that I did. For anyone that is in any doubt, Allan and John (three cheers for such great sports) had no idea that the whole “come to the stage bit” was a set up, but they took part with great fun (although Allan is promising to get me back). I had no idea what Andrew Castle was going to use me for when he asked me to be his assistant on stage! Had I known, I would have had a bit of catching practice beforehand - all I can say is that 50% (and one of them backwards) with 800 people watching is no mean feat!

I can also explain the presence of the man in black (“fiddling with me”) half way through the awards. When I handed over the second trophy, the radio microphone dropped from the back of my dress all the way through and was dangling around my ankles (I kid you not) and the weight was pulling my headpiece off. I knew that there was a danger it would not work, so I needed assistance. There was no way I could detach it myself - either someone had to come on and refit it (bearing in mind it went on with someone actually under my dress!!!) I thought more likely I would have it taken off and use the podium mikes. This is what we did, but of course no one knew what was happening - a lesson to be learned! Neither David nor Andrew had the inconvenience of the ballgown and no where to clip the mike pack!

Luckily Caroline was able to relay my predicament to the backstage and they helped out - much to Andrew’s delight - who announced to the whole room, “Hey! Hands off she’s mine!” Embarrassment factor 100% but what a lot of fun! These really were "money cannot buy” memory moments!

I got through the handover speech without too much emotion (I was worried I would collapse like a jelly when thanking my family for their support), but all was well and Geoff now has the reins. Dancing to “Abba Inferno” was great and the 3am bedtime was one I haven’t done for a while.

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my Presidency. Our members are a wonderful group of people to represent and I have been proud to do so. I have been given so many opportunities that my memories and deeds for the year are priceless - thoroughly enjoyable and so many times I felt 10 feet tall.

My week actually started on the Sunday prior to conference as we had the Council committees and meetings before conference took place. A very exhausting few days. On Tuesday, Conference kicked off with the AGM where we held a moment's silence for the members we lost this year, passed a special resolution to recognise the use of new designatory letters IRRV (Dip) IRRV (Hons) and to re-establish the presence of “Fellow” status of the Institute (more info will follow on how to reach this status). And my final duty was to present an honorary membership to Bill Lovell. Bill had not been advised this was coming and was shocked by the announcement - so much so that he didn’t stop to put his jacket on and asked for us to retake the photos on Thursday night!

The conference went extremely well. Paul Howarth, who always pulls a crowd, was delighted with the number who turned out. It was only after his session that we realised 50 delegates who were due to be in a different conference in the BIC had wandered in to our session in error. I hope they enjoyed it!!! The Exhibition was busy with lots going on and plenty of people looking at products and doing the rounds. It seemed to me to be a great success.

On Thursday we presented a commemorative certificate to Dr Josephine Lim from Canada. Josephine is the current President of the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) and was attending our conference.

Then there was the awards dinner. As I said on the night, congratulations to all winners and commiserations to the other finalists - but all must remember how well they did to get to that stage. I look forward to judging the awards again next year and seeing even higher standards!

A huge thank you to everyone who has supported me during the year and who have supported the charity. I think we are close to the £6,000 mark, but the final figure is not in yet, so I shall put an update as a news release with final figures when they are known - but thank you all so much.

It has been a great honour to be your President. I may be a bit quirky and informal at times but I hope I have shown some of the heart of the Institute during my year. It was my intention to try to bring the Institute HQ and Council out of the “mystery” and show you all what we do. If I have achieved a little of that, I have been successful. Thank you for reading the blog, I hope that you have enjoyed it. The blog like the year has been very individualistically me. I hope to continue on Council for a further term. I will be standing next summer, but - either way - I have some wonderful memories and to close in the words of the song…..

..To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows
I took the blows
And did it my way!



Take care of yourselves.

Much love


Julie