Monday, December 22, 2008

Julie's Christmas Update!

The past two weeks have mostly been about the build up to Christmas, and the Institute and Associations all know how to build up to the festive time very well.

The 11th saw David Magor and myself go to the East Midlands' Association Christmas Lunch in Oakham in Rutland, The Chairman of Rutland Council also attended the lunch but had to leave early to attend a greeting of the troops at a nearby Army base where troops had just returned from a tour of Afghanistan. I expect no less of an excuse from anyone else that needs to leave an event early, so take note!!

The lunch was great fun culminating in a round of Happy Birthday to David and the presentation of a fabulous birthday cake from the Association. I have never before seen David lost for words, so that was a first indeed. David had no idea that anyone knew it was his birthday and was therefore most surprised. Sadly we had to leave all too soon to get home at a reasonable time and Gary Watson was entrusted with the cake to return to HQ for David, which I am pleased to say got back in one piece.

On 15th the benefit faculty board met by telephone conference. As Council members we also sit on the faculty boards by right. We can sit on two and this week saw meetings of both the Benefits Board and Local Taxation board. Unfortunately I had to give apologies to the LTR board the previous week as I attended the Surrey Treasurers meeting in Kingston the same day (Well, I have to work for Tandridge at least sometimes!)

The 16th saw me off to Edinburgh once again for the third leg of my great Scottish pre Christmas adventure. No snow this time, it was actually quite mild, but it was a very early start that got me to Gatwick for the 6.30 am flight. I met with Rob De Felice from Gandlake at the airport, although we were both somewhat bleary-eyed and had a second breakfast (but then the BA one was a bit too early anyway) when we arrived at the hotel in Edinburgh for the Gandlake Focus day. Tandridge is a Gandlake customer and as I am away for the next user group in England in January, it was an opportunity to take part in the day in Scotland. The focus group is about sharing ideas with the supplier and each other to share good practice and help develop enhancements for the future. It was a great day with sessions lead by David Magor and Bill Sproul (from Gandlake) helping to kick some ideas around. As always I found it useful and a good networking opportunity.

The evening saw the Scottish Christmas reception and this was held at the Scottish Parliament building. We were lucky to have a brief tour by Alison McInnes MSP, our host for the evening, and the debating chamber and other committee rooms really are very impressive. It was nice to see some old friends and colleagues and to say thank you to supporters of the Institute in Scotland, we were also able to present a small Gift to Maureen Collins from Glasgow City Council, winner of a Gandlake student bursary. John Gandley was able to present the gift as we were so pleased to have them present at the reception. We had a lovely dinner with them afterwards and then walked back to the hotel (with some slightly dodgy directions that made a five minute walk last ½ an hour)! But no harm came to anyone and we made it back safe and sound eventually!

Last Friday was the Institute Christmas party and it was indeed an honour to attend. I met with David and Gary to clear up a bit of business before the “festivities started” and then at 11.00 sharp we started Gary’s quiz, for a large part of the morning we worried that “the A team” (David, Rachel Toombs and myself) might actually win, but a last minute substitution when Gary had finished his quiz and my own offering was the final round, saw us slip back somewhat and the team of Evonne, Mark, George and Shola pipped us at the post. Well done to them!

We then popped off to the Blue Lion around the corner from Doughty Street and had a great afternoon which of course included a secret santa round. Although we couldn’t quite work out why Evonne had been bought a purple space hopper, at least her Santa had been thoughtful enough to provide some plasters for the inevitable!

For those of you who know me, know that I love the Christmas season and our house is always festooned with lights, I shall post some pictures to show you the full effect shortly. I wonder how many other Institute members do similar? Would love to see your offerings….

This week will see me at work for the three days before Christmas and then a four day break. The Institute Official E-Christmas Card went out today, the savings from not sending actual cards will be going to my chosen charity which is the St Peter and St James Hospice in Wivelsfield, East Sussex. I shall post more about the charity as the year unfolds.

May I wish all of you a peaceful and blessed Christmas and all good things for the New Year. I shall do one further update before my holiday in January, so stay tuned and try not to over indulge too much over the holidays.